Saturday, October 11

To YKK and Jin (if you ever come across this blog)

Dear Keen King and Loong Jin,

The other day you guys were sharing to us about your religious view as a free thinker. You came up with an outstanding excuse of not adopting any religion. The excuse is paraphrase like this :

"I don't want to believe in any religion. If I do, it means I am claiming that other religions are not true. Hence, indirectly insulting other religions. We live in Malaysia which is a multi-racial country, so all I'm doing by not accepting any religion is actually a good thing since I won't stir up any riot or something. "

I am not an expert in my religion, but I'll try to put it plain and simple logically.

At least we came to an understanding that the universe did not appear out of nothing. See if there was nothing before, there will be nothing today. Logically. The universe has a beginning and an end. So there is a God that created it.

Anyway, back to the topic, avoiding conflict with other religions. Well, fundamentally, the way I see it, you guys are trying to please everyone. Then again, it is still not possible to please everyone. There is only one person in the whole universe we must please : God.

Look at it this way, let's say you will die today, who will join you after death? Who will be there after death? Everyone dies alone. In the end, only the person who created you and the world would be there: God. So if you live your life without knowing who that God is, how can you be sure that God will... well... do whatever He will do to you after death. I, personally believe in heaven and hell. If you don't believe that, look at it this way, how sure are you there isn't?

Yeah, you can go on living your life at it is, doing lots of good deeds on the way. But sometimes, good intentions are not enough. You need to do it right.

Lets picture in this scenario, you need to bake a good apple pie. And you're doing it so that you can serve it to your family or friends or whoever you want to please. So the only way to bake that good apple pie is to do it right. You need to have the recipe, the right quantity, the specific instructions to bake it. You can't just say, "I really want to please that person, so I think with much love, I can do it allright." You get the point. To make a good apple pie, you need to do it right and not only with good intention.

So it really comes down to this, plain and simple. Since we (hopefully) came to an understanding there is a God, there is life after death, and good intentions are not enough, it is time to decide who do you really want to please. God or men?

In the end, it is up to you to find that true God if you chose to please God. No matter what religion. I sincerely hope and pray you will consider Christianity.

With much love and prayer,
Cheow Siang

No comments:

I Love You Especially